No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Libya Shield Protests: at least 27 dead

byMichel Cousins
June 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Libya Shield Protests: at least 27 dead

Potestors at the

By Ayman Amzein and Maha Ellawati.

Protestors take cover in fighting at Libya Shield headquarters

Benghazi, 9 June 2013:

The death toll in fighting yesterday outside a military headquarters in Benghazi has . . .[restrict]left at least 27 people dead and 70 injured. According to Benghazi Congressman Ahmed Langhi, the death toll is 30. Other reports put the figure at 35.  A Libya Herald reporter counted the bodies of 25 victims of the violence in the city’s Jalaa Hospital.

The fighting started when as many as 200 protestors gathered outside the headquarters of the First Brigade of the Libya Shield forces (Deraa 1) in the Sidi Khalifa district in eastern Benghazi, demanding it vacate the premises and disband.

The Shield forces operate under the army but are seen as largely independent.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

What happened next is unclear. According to Congressman Langhi, the protestors “were unarmed” but then others weapons came and joined them.  Who fired the first shots has not been disclosed.  One report claims that protestors managed to force their way into the headquarters firing into the air and that Shield forces then fired back at them.

The Shield forced leader Wisam Bin Hamid reportedly said that he told his men to stop firing because he did not want more bloodshed but also told them not to leave their posts.

The headquarters were eventually secured by the army’s Special Forces. Ben Hamed is said to have handed himself into their custody for safe protection. It is also reported, however, that a number of the protestors managed to take guns from the headquarters.

Protestors at the Libya Shield 1 headquarters

Many of the dead were taken to the city’s Jalaa Hospital which has published the names of the 25 seen by the Libya Herald. Most are thought to have been protestors although one Shield member, Ali Tarhouni, has been reported saying that a number of his colleagues had also been killed.  According to the spokesperson for Benghazi’s joint security room, Colonel Abdallah El-Shaeify, five members of the Shield Brigade were killed as Special Forces moved to gain control of the camp.

El-Shaeify said that several were injured during the offensive to capture the headquarters when there was a large explosion. Of those injured, the majority were taken to Benghazi’s Jalaa Hospital, were some died to the severity of their wounds.

It is not yet known who organised the protest although it is claimed that some of the protestors were federalists, others simply wanting an end to any military organisations other than the regular army and the police. One report says that some of the protestors were involved in a land ownership dispute over the Shield headquarters.

Benghazi has seen a swathe of assassinations and attacks on security officials and buildings over the past year and a half but yesterday’s incident is the worst since the slaying in the city of US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US diplomatic personnel on 11 September last year.

“It’s a sad day for Benghazi but hopefully it will be an end of the story,” said Congressman Langhi, referring to the lawlessness that has hit the city and the country.  “The mess has to end,” he said.

Congress is discussing the deadly incident today.

Libya Shield 1 is directly under the control of Chief of Staff Major-General Yousef Mangoush. It is has a reputation of being pro-Islamist, unlike Shield 2 which is considered more sympathetic to the federalists.

With input from Nihal Zaroug [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyaLibya Shield

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Prime Minister calls Benghazi killings “a tragedy for all Libya”; calls for restraint

Mangoush resigns

Mangoush resigns

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.